10 Gallon Fish Tank
We often get the question of what size aquarium is the best to start of keeping fish or what optimal fish tank size to choose. And my answer often is 10 gallon fish tank.
Why 10 gallon fish tank?
There are many reasons why my answer is exactly as follows:
- It is not too small but not too big and therefore it is easy to find him a place in any room.
- There are so many choices of fish for 10 gallon tank and tropical fish tank plants to grow in this size of the aquarium.
- Since it is not very big and so inexpensive.
- You will need to replace less water every weekly (30%) water change.
- Since the aquarium volume less required fish tank filter is also smaller and less powerful, so you’ll save electricity.
The most popular fish that can grow in 10 gallon fish tank we have already mentioned here. However, there are still very many different types of freshwater fish that look great this size aquarium. My favorite is German Blue Ram. This is one of the dream come true. I have a few pairs of these fish. And I love them! However, care a little more complicated, so for beginners I do not recommend it.
10 gallon fish tank filter
Since the fish tank size is relatively small, recommend to pay attention to the fish tank biological filtration. There are superbly filters with fillers which may contain bacteria colonies that will improve water quality on your 10 gallon fish tank and provide a stable water parameters. It is also often using airlift filters which also works with both mechanically and biologically improving-cleaning aquarium water.
We recommend Aqueon Internal fish tank filter:
- Fully submersible in vertical or horizontal position
- Adjustable return stream rate
- Direction and tallness of water return is likewise movable
- Three stage filtration: dense foam for particles and debris, activated carbon for toxins, odors and discoloration and patented BioGrid for ammonia and nitrates
- Uses Aqueon Replacement Internal Filter Cartridges
- Adjustable direction and height of return
- AT10 is recommended for 10 gallon tanks, flow rate is 57 GPH and uses 1 small replacement cartridge
- Limited lifetime warranty
If you do not want the aquarium to take up too much space with a filter you can use mounted filter. For example AquaClear Power Filter:
- Refiltration system that offers superior contact time with filter media and energy efficient pump lowers operating costs
- Quick and easy installation
- Filtration volume is up to 7 times larger than comparable filters
- Comes equipped with AquaClear Foam, Activated Carbon and BioMax and Cycle Guard for continuous biological filtration and superior water quality
- 2 year warranty
- Ideal up to 20 gallon tank
10 gallon fish tank heater
The water heater should not speak a lot of things because it depends on what the fish or plants you will grow. For example a fish that require extremely low (room) temperature so raising such fish aquarium additional heating is necessary. Some freshwater fish needs a lower temperature of room, then you will need to use aquarium chiller. However, if you live in colder climates and your fish or plants needs to be in higher than room temperature water then you have to choose a suitable and reliable heater.
Why it is important to choose a reliable heater?
There are cases when the unreliable heaters literally boils the water along with content on it. None of us too be happy seeing their beloved dead fish. It is also unreliable heaters can maintain the uneven temperature which is also bad for both the aquarium bio balance, fish, plants and other living organisms in the fish tank.
We recommend Aqueon 50W Pro Heater:
- Power monitor light, what is very important to see whether it works or not
- Electronic indoor regulator for exact temperature settings
- Its for fresh or saltwater aquariums
- Shatterproof and nearly indestructible
- Fully submersible
When choosing a substrate you have to decide what type of 10 gallon fish tank will be. It depends on you. You will grow live aquarium plants on your 10 gallons fish tank or not, so be careful if the substrate suitable for plant roots otherwise you’ll have a lot of unnecessary troubles.
Fluval Plant Shrimp Stratum it is a universal substrate perfect for aquarium plants and their roots, fish, shrimps, snails and other organisms in the aquarium. It is mineral rich volcanic soil which stimulates strong plant growth and promotes neutral to mildly acidic pH. Because fish tank size is not very big is very important to maintain a stable pH level. Also permeable structure is additionally profoundly valuable to nitrifying microscopic organisms, which quickly colonize the immense permeable surface, giving ideal water quality to plants.
Choosing 10 gallon fish tank there are many different shapes and sizes of aquarium sets. From which you can choose the most suitable and appealing those who usually already have their own filtration systems, heaters, and built-in aquarium cover lighting system.
Fluval FLEX 9 Gallon Glass Fish Tank
- Dimensions: 16″ W x 13″ D x 13″ H (34 x 33 x 33 cm)
- Aquarium Capacity: 34 L (9 US Gal)
- 7500K LED lamp, supports plant growth and enhances fish colours
- Powerful 3-stage filtration with oversized mechanical, chemical and biological media for optimal water clarity.
- Multi-directional dual outputs for customized water flow, hidden rear filter compartment, easy feed top cover opening who will greatly facilitate the daily fish feeding.
This fish tank has a keypad with which you can adjust the aquarium lighting. Also, to simulate a variety of air (such as faded cloud cover or lighting bolts). You can change this 10 gallon fish tank lights according to your mood. Also this aquarium set has everything, so you do not need to buy extra filter, heater or lighting. You will not have to worry about additional fish tank components. You only need to choose fish, plants, substrate, and enjoy home-generated natural corner.
If you want a little more (12 gallon fish tank) is perfect for you Fluval 12 Gallon Aquarium.
- 6 sided, 12 gallon sealed glass aquarium
- Powerful, easy to use Edge filter with Cycleguard.
- Includes Nutrafin Cycle and Nutrafin Aquaplus water treatments
- LED Lighting, Filtration & Wiring is easily hidden away in the décorative column
- Powerful bright white 7600K high liuminosity LED’s with 3 deep blue night-time light LED’s and 3 position switch
This 10 gallon tank is special that in there are six sides from which you can watch your pets. As well as efficient LED lighting will create a great image for you, your fish tank live plants and fish. It has day and night mode. All the time will make the fish feel safe and comfortable. This fish tank is in three colors: black, white and silver. Therefore, you can adjust the color of the home aquarium dominant and it will be a great interior detail.
If you want to have in your home beautiful, low maintenance 10 gallon fish tank this is the best what you can buy with a low budget. This is mid size aquarium which not only beautify your room but also you can enjoy the great views on your desk or somewhere in the sidelines.
If you are looking smaller aquarium, check our article: Best 5 Gallon Fish Tank
If you are looking bigger aquarium, check our article: Best 20 Gallon Fish tank