As you have carefully made your decision of having a betta fish as a new pet, there is no doubt that you need to be aware of various details on how to take care of a betta fish. Of course, this is a perfect choice, as bettas are considered to be the most beautiful and intelligent fishes. They can even recognize their owner; perform various tricks like moving a ball with their nose, etc. Furthermore, they have a striking feature which is their brilliant color and huge, fluttering fins.
But the question that really pounders you a lot is how to take care of a betta fish. It is not like other fishes that you see or can simply place in any bowl or aquarium. There are certain standard requirements and procedures you must follow.
How To Take Care Of A Betta Fish?
Follow these tips to make sure your betta fish has a great, happy and healthy life.
Best betta fish tank
- Have you ever thought of housing a betta? It is common to see bettas placed in aquariums which are jar sized and one gallon’s fish aquarium. Frankly, it is not good. You should never put your Betta to such small-sized homes.
Being a fighting fish, bettas like to use their fins, especially while swimming and exploring. At least your betta fish tank must be sized at 2.5 gallons, and it is apt if you go for higher more than five gallons.
Betta fish water temperature
- Not many people know, betta fishes (they are tropical fish). So, make sure that the temperature of the aquarium must be between 77-81 degrees. It means that unless you are subjected to a tropical climate or live in one, it is a better option to use the aquarium heater so that your betta can be healthy and happy.
Changing water in a fish tank
- Keep in mind that you should avoid changing the water of the betta aquarium at once. The sudden fluctuation can be dangerous and might cause harm to your betta. Just replace the water in about 25-30% portions. Keep in mind that your filter also should be in good condition so do not forget about cleaning fish tank filter.
Cleaning fish tank
- The most common mistake people make on how to take care of a betta fish is doing 100% water change. It would be perfect if you leave at least 50% aquarium water. This will keep your aquarium in a good condition with bioload and keeps beneficial bacteries alive. If you need an aquarium restart or big rescape, cleaning decorations and etc, be careful do not hurt your betta fish fins, before cleaning the entire bowl, take the fish out with a net and then remove the decorations, plants or what you need and use a clean cloth to scrub the bowl. Also, make sure to rinse with boiled or tap water (without chlorine) and do not use soap!
How to choose plants and decorations for your betta fish
- If you are planning to add fish tank plants and decorations to your betta fish’s environment, then go for easily cut plants. They even go hand-in-hand with the design of the aquarium. Also, keep in mind that the fins of the betta fish is very much delicate, and can easily get damaged with fish tank decoration. Of course, you can choose live plants and decorations like wood and branches, but keep in mind about the fins while selecting them.
Proper diet for your betta
- Another aspect you need to really think about on how to take care of a betta fish is the diet. A popular misconception is present among many people that bettas like to consume the roots of aquatic plants. But that is not true. Wild betta fishes are insectivores and never consume plants.
So, it is necessary that you feed your pet betta fish with pellet fish stuff which is made specifically for bettas. Just give about three to five pellets every day. In addition, bettas like to consume blood worms, frozen-dry brine shrimp, black worms, etc. But such treats must be limited to about once in two weeks.
It is common for everyone to get sick once a while. The same is with your pets like betta fish. With proper care and diet, your betta fish will be a life-long companion. Also, make sure to keep a close watch on the health condition of your betta as often as possible. Check fish tank temperature, pH, kH, nitrites, nitrates and other parameters. Don’t make it too late before it becomes untraceable.
Related: Betta Fish Accessories
Related: Best Betta Fish Tank